verse of the day

Thursday 12 August 2010

Feel like flying away?. [Psalm 55 ]

I was born in Belfast, Belfast was bombed in the second world war, it was a time of fear, when the sirens sounded ,warning of an airraid ,people ran for cover. I remember being told how my family ran to what was known as the Castlereagh hills for safety, I was not born then, but one can appreciate the panic and fear that, gripped the people. David the Psalmist was not immune from fear sometimes it took over, and he prayed,/Oh that I had wings like a dove,for then I would fly away, and be at rest[ Psalm 55v6] . David expresses deep feelings in this Psalm ,we read words like, terror, fearfulness,trembling,and horror,and his desire was to flee, and if only I had wings I would fly away, he cries. Well who can blame him, or judge him , not me, for I know only to well how easy it is to feel what David felt at least in part . As we precede down the Psalm, we see David gradually changing his focus to God to undertake, he asks that God would deal with those who are threatening him. Then He declares words of comfort and assurance,/ Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and He shall sustain thee, He shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.[v21] Whatever difficulties we may be facing,let us express our feelings honestly to God,look to Him,and leave it to Him to undertake with the difficulties, cast everything upon Him,and be assured He shall sustain us. [Dear God I must confess that so often I feel like running away, because of problems and difficulties,right now I cast everything on You, and ask that You would sustain me ,in Jesus name Amen ]

No comments: