verse of the day

Monday 7 March 2016

George and that hymn. [ Luke 15 v 11- 32]

George Matherson by all accounts must have been a wonderful preacher,
many people flocked to hear him.He lived in Scotland,died in 1906,the thing that made him different was he was blind. He had a very good memory,which was a great help,in  his preaching,he wrote a number of books which are still in publication,and a number of hymns,  one particular hymn is still very popular.It appears he may have had a disappointment in love,but he had a sister who helped him a great deal,and she got married.
On the day she got married, he had that evening when alone a tremendous
mental struggle,and it was then he wrote that well known and loved hymn,he said it only took him five minutes to write.
                              
                                O love that wilt not let me go,
                                I rest my weary soul in Thee;
                                I gave thee back the life I owe,
                                that in Thine ocean depths its flow
                                may richer, fuller be.
         
                                O light that followest all my way,
                                I yield my flickering torch to Thee,
                                my heart restores its borrowed ray,
                                that in thy sunshine's blaze its day
                                may brighter be.

                               O joy that seekest me through pain,
                               I cannot close my heart to Thee;
                               I trace the rainbow through the rain,
                               and feel the promise is not vain,
                               that morn shall tearless be.

                               O cross that liftest up my head,
                               I dare not ask to fly from Thee;
                               I lay in dust life's glory dead,
                               and from the ground there blossoms red,
                               life that shall endless be.
                               
                                

No comments: