verse of the day

Tuesday 29 March 2016

Attending church. [ Psalm 122v 1]

Peter Adams write of Jeremiah Burroughs one of the great preachers of the
seventeenth century.He wrote a book called Gospel Worship,a series of sermons on how to relate to God.He thought the most important thing we do each week is to go to church,to listen to the reading,and preaching of the
Bible.As you sit still to listen,he explains....you come to tender your homage to God, to sit at Gods feet and there to profess your submission to Him''. The fact is we need to meet with Gods people,to hear the ministry of Gods word,by the minister.As a minister I am continually studying Gods word,I pray for guidance,and Gods help,that the hungry sheep may be fed.That is my calling,I do it not for money,glory,but because I have been called by God to do it.When I go to preach I am not going to a debating
society,I am going to preach the word God has given me.Recently when I had finished preaching,a brother stood up,this brother is a difficult chap,he
wanted to say something,I asked him to sit down,he became angry and stomped out of the building.The point is ,it would have been better for him,and for those gathered, to just to take in the message that had been preached,in a submissive manner,as Jeremiah wrote.And for our own spiritual well being we really need to take seriously,the importance of attending church.
                                            A  prayer.
Dear God we thank you for being able to attend a church,where Gods word is preached,help us to not neglect this,help us to see its importance to our spiritual well being,in Jesus name Amen.

No comments: