verse of the day

Sunday 23 March 2014

Nostalgia. [ Numbers.11v4-9]

One of my favourite movies is, /The quite man/,it is about an a man called John going back to his roots in Ireland,how I would describe this movie,well it is full of nostalgia. Ireland is a lovely country,of course you know that I am an Irish man,from the dark north. Our reminiscence of our past is often not based on reality,Ireland's history is a sad history,of poverty,of a religion that was oppressive,I speak of the south mainly. Although the north in my lifetime has known as most people know a terrible degree of violence.I love my country and of course there is much that is good in it,but I don't let that love blind me to the realities that are not nice. There was time in Israels history, that the people were complaining,about Gods provision,/We remember the fish we ate in Egypt that cost nothing,the cucumbers,the melons,the leeks,the onions and the garlic./[ Numbers11]As R.C. Sproul wrote,/They forgot the whips,the torture,the sweat,and the impoverishment of their slavery/,nostalgia blinded them to reality.Their distorted thinking blinded them to Gods blessing in their lives,because they were dissatisfied,with their lot.There are no advantages in living in the past,or going back to try and capture our past,as Israel should have realised.
A prayer...../Dear God forgive us,for our distorted thinking,our foolish looking back,that causes us to murmur and complain,in Jesus name Amen /

No comments: