verse of the day

Friday 28 November 2014

Cold formalism. [John 11 v 35 ]

In the fellowship I attend a number of  people are given the task of reading  the scripture,well there is a person called Roy who is one  of the scripture readers.Roy was to read Matthew 25v 31ff,a  scripture which deals with judgement and rewards,as Roy read it,he became emotional especially as he read the verses relating to Judgement. He just about finished the reading,I must confess his emotional reading of those scriptures touched me and I am sure it touched others.It reminded me and I hope others of the dangers of  cold calling,cold praying,cold reading,cold preaching,cold formalism. Jeremiah is known as the weeping prophet,maybe that is the reason that I love Jeremiah. Consider that our Lord was a man of sorrows,He wept at a friends death, He wept over a city,and I am sure He must have wept much in private.I wonder how more effective our preaching,witnessing,praying would be if they were accompanied with tears?.
                                        A prayer.
               Spirit of the living God fall afresh on me.
                Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me.
               Break me,melt me,mould me,fill me.
               Spirit of the living God fall afresh on me.
                                  Amen.
            [Words by D. Iverson]

No comments: