verse of the day

Sunday 17 January 2021

God is just.( 4) ( Romans 1 v 18 )

 We continue a last look at Psalm 139, we have highlighted God's, Omniscience ,Omnipresence, and His Omnipotence. Now let us end by borrowing  H. Lockyer's heading for  v 19 - 24, ' The Overthrow of  God's Enemies '. Here our those verses,' If only you, God , would slay the wicked! Away from me, you are bloodthirsty! They  speak  of you with evil intent; your adversaries misuse your name. Do I not hate those who hate you ,Lord, and abhor those who are in rebellion against you? I have nothing but hatred for them;  I count them my enemies. Search  me , God, and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts. see if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting'.  People struggle with what David says, to them it appears ad odds with a God of love, has David got it wrong?, 'No'.  I will offer a few thoughts on this. Judgement is in the Bible, Old and New,  Jesus spoke of hell and judgement.  Every day the jihdi ,Islamic militants ,are murdering ,kidnapping ,forcing religious conversions , they are blind to the suffering they are causing. Is it wrong to cry out to God to deal with them?,  no it is not. ( of course the Koran calls Jews and Christians wretched creatures. ) In Psalm 7 v 11 we read ,'God is a just judge, and God is angry with the wicked everyday'. We will continue this next time.

No comments: