verse of the day

Monday 4 January 2021

Are you greedy? ( Matthew 22 v 37 )

 Years ago when  rich people had servants, the master of the house  overheard one of his servants saying to  the other servants, '' if only I had ten pound I would be so happy and content''. Well the master took ten pound from his wallet ,and gave it to him, and as he was walking away  he overheard him say, ''I wish I had said twenty pounds.'' Recently a neighbours daughter said to me, ''I don't want a lot of money, just enough to buy a few things''. The thing is the more people get, the more they want , it is very true, people always go for a better paid job, a bigger house, a better car .Now I am not saying that's its wrong to better ones self, for most of my life money has been scarce, not now, God has blessed me, and I am grateful, and content, my concern is to not let my possessions possess  me . In Ephesians 5 v 3 the apostle Paul  challenges the believers not to be greedy, it has the meaning of covetousness, a hunger for material possessions,( among other things). Charles Swindoll, points that in Colossians 3 v 5  greed is linked  to idolatry, and he makes this valid point ,''greed ,'' makes a god of what it seeks to possess''. My  dear wife is a self employed carer, and she reminds me it is not just about the money. it was dear William Cowper who wrote,

                                                    'The dearest idol I have known,

                                                     Whate'er that idol be,

                                                      Help me to tear it from Thy throne,

                                                       And  worship  only Thee.'.

No comments: