verse of the day

Wednesday 28 May 2014

Commentaries [ 2 Timothy 4 v 13]

Recently I visited Scotney castle in the county of Kent,part of it was built in the 19ty century,and part in the14th century,the part built in the 15thcentury had books and more books,lining the walls,3000 all told. Now  I love books,and as a minister,I have a  small library of my own, I treasure my Bible commentaries,there are those who say one does not need commentaries,we just need the Bible.Now there is a very real sense that this is true,but from early on in my Christian life I have found the writings of Godly men helpful.Often in reading ,studying the Bible I have received help in understanding certain passages in the Bible,and wise applications also. Of course we should choose are commentaries carefully,they are God given tools,to help us in our understanding of Gods word. Surely this is what we need, is to understand Gods word,I know a man who boasts of studying Gods word for two hours each day,he does not use commentaries,and having listened to him ,one only wishes he would . We need all the help we can get in to understand Gods words,from gifted teachers,from our ministers,and especially the Holy Spirit.
A prayer...../Dear God we thank You for those godly people who have written commentaries on Your word,or had their teaching put into print,in order to help us in our understanding of Your word,in Jesus name. Amen /

No comments: