verse of the day

Thursday 31 March 2022

The day of trouble. ( Psalm 77.)

Let us consider some thoughts from Psalm 77,written not by David but a person called Asaph, William Plumer says that this was a family name.Like many of the Psalms it is written at a time  deep distress,it is important that we hear that,and possible one of the reasons the Lord of trial,could be summed up in the words  of Charles Swindoll, ''We lean more on the Lord in difficult times, than times of prosperity''. It was Puritan Thomas Brooks who said,' that God drives us to himself by often scourging us with thorns'. Verse one reads,'I cried unto God with my voice,even unto God with my voice;and He gave ear unto me'. This prayer was both earnest and fervent CP  James 5 v17, and the good thing is, God heard him.  Verse two reads, 'In the day of trouble I sought the Lord', in Psalm 50 v 14- 15 we read, how certain things that can hinder our prayer, CP Matthew 6 v 14-15, unforgiveness towards others,Psalm 66 v 18 ,unrepented sin.and so when go we to God aright we have this wonderful promise,'Call on me in the day of trouble,I will deliver you, and you will honour me.'( Psalm 50 v 15)

                                                        Begone ,unbelief !

                                                        My Saviour is near

                                                        And for my relief

                                                       Will surely appear,

                                                        By prayer let me wrestle

                                                       And He will perform;

                                                       With Christ in the vessel

                                                        I smile at the storm'.

                                                          Words John Newton.

No comments: