verse of the day

Friday 10 June 2016

Are you thirsty? [John 4 v 1- 14]

Many years ago a man heard his servant saying,''if only I had 10 pound,I would be happy and content,so the man went to his servant, and gave him 10 pound.As he walked away from him,he overheard him say,I wish I had said 20 pound.If you where to ask me one thing that characterises mankind its this,''They Thirst''.As I look at many people in generation,many should be content,yet millions do the lottery,they are saying I thirst.Millions of people are hooked on drugs,I  include alcohol,tobacco,what are  they saying is ,I thirst.Likewise sex,they are on the internet,they are going to foreign,countries,to abuse children,many ordinary people are engaging
in sex outside of marriage.Power is another drug.likewise possessions,one could go on,but the words that I would put over all such things is ,''I thirst''.
It is the cry of mankind,and it leads to a lot of messed up lives,all they can
say is,I am dying of thirst,I want more and more and more,yet the more they get the more thirsty they become.Our Saviour met a lady at a well, she had, had 5 husbands,and at that time she was living with a man.She was a thirsty woman,she came to that well,a thirsty woman.Jesus said to her,''whosoever
drinketh of this water shall thirst again''[John 4 v13]He was using the water
to illustrate,that the deep thirst within her heart,could not be satisfied,by  the many men she had,she would always be thirsty.But said Jesus, I can give you water ,that will mean you will never thirst again. Are you thirsty?
come to Christ,only He, and He alone,can satisfy the deepest longings of
the human heart.
                               I heard the voice of Jesus say.
                               Behold,I freely give
                               the living water;thirsty one,
                               stoop down and drink,and live;
                               I came to Jesus, and I drank
                               of that life giving stream;
                               my thirst was quenched,my soul revived,
                               and now I live in Him.
                                 [ Words by Horatius Bonar ]

No comments: