verse of the day

Thursday 12 May 2016

Not just the God of history. [ Psalm 46 ]

I read today that the Christian life is like a marathon,I agree with that,but I also see it as an obstacle race.Reflecting on my past I see the many obstacles I have had to face,but I also reflect on how God has sustained me,
and helped me.Consider the following words by John Flavel,''How is it that
you have survived so many dangers,sicknesses,accidents,designs of enemies to ruin you?.It is,I presume,beyond question with you that the very finger of
God has been in these things,and that by His care alone you have been preserved''.As I look back on my whole life ,I would say an Amen to that, how many scrapes and difficulties God has brought me through,I highlight one,as a child when I was  saved from drowning,and I declare with the hymn writer to God be the glory great things He has done.Are you experiencing difficulties now dear child of God,are you tempted to despair?
look back on past deliverance's,and take encouragement  from them in your present situation,His mercy has not been withdrawn from you.As in the past so in the present,He can bring deliverance,meet that need,heal that sickness,open up a door of service,a door of opportunity,He is not only the
God of  history,but the God of the present,take encouragement from the
following words.
                                Begone,unbelief,
                                My Saviour is near
                                And for my relief
                                Will surely appear;
                                By prayer let me wrestle
                                And He will perform;
                                With Christ in the vessel
                                 I smile at the storm.

                                His love in times past
                                Forbids me to think
                                He'll leave me at last
                                In trouble to sink;
                                Each sweet Ebenezer
                                I have in review
                                Confirms His good pleasure
                                To help me quite through.
                                   [ Words by John Newton]

No comments: