verse of the day

Tuesday 30 June 2015

Poor in spirit.. [ Psalm 86 ]

I continue to read the Psalms with great profit,Psalm 86 was written by David,it is a prayer,in this prayer he starts by acknowledging his state and desire to be helped,he describes himself as poor and needy. Our Saviour
taught ,blessed are the poor in spirit,for theirs is the kingdom of heaven
[Matthew 5 v3 ].There is so much one could say about these words,consider
David the one who killed a lion,bear,and a giant,the one who led the armies
of Israel,the one anointed by God to be king,who would become their greatest king.A great man among men,but before God he declares himself to be poor and needy,poor in spirit.Thomas Watson writes,/He who is poor in spirit is much in prayer,he sees how short he is of the standard of holiness,therefore begs for more grace,more faith, more conformity to Christ./
                                     A  prayer
                            Just as I am ,without one plea.
                            But that Thy blood was shed for me,
                             And that Thou bidst me come to Thee,
                            O Lamb of God I come.

                              Just as I am , Thou wilt receive
                              Wilt welcome,pardon, cleanse,releave,
                               Because Thy promise I believe,
                               O lamb of God ,I come.

                              Just as I am-Thy love unknown
                              Has broken every barrier down;
                               Now to be Thine,yea, Thine alone.
                              O Lamb of God I come
                                          Amen.

No comments: