verse of the day

Thursday 23 August 2012

A vital ministry [ Romans 12 v 7 -12 ]

A word spoken in due season,how good is it[ Proverbs 15 v23 ] As a preacher it falls on me to speak challenging words,to remind my hearers of sin and of judgement,hopefully I am not judgemental when I speak,because as the old Puritan Baxter said he was a dying man speaking to dying men. I know we all need to be continually reminded of so many things,to be holy,to be watchful,but I am also very conscience that what people need so often is a word of encouragement. Now I believe in getting a word from the Lord,but sometimes those who come to us as individuals, with a word from God,speak with a certainty that is not helpful. In times in the past I have spoken a word of the Lord to someone, and as I think about I wish I had kept it to myself. Usually we cant go wrong with a simple, I am praying for you.,it does not even have to be that,simply listening, can be very encouraging, it was when the friends of Job opened their mouths did they act wrongly , judgeing poor old Job. There is a little verse about a wise old owl, the more he saw, the  less he spoke,the less he spoke the more  he saw,oh that I was more like that wise old owl. I am not saying we should not say anything,but  we need to choose are words wisely, even the wise old owl, sounds forth a hoot now and again.Mybe the words that Barnabas spoke encouraged Mark , to keep following ,and serving Christ, after Pauls harsh judgement Acts 15 v 38], after all Barnabas means ,son of encouragement. 
A  prayer....../ Dear Lord help us to encourage someone this day,by an action or a word ,in Your name we ask this Amen/

No comments: