verse of the day

Friday 12 July 2024

Old age.( 2 Corinthians 4 v 16 -18 )

 Just recently I turned eighty,and  I though jokingly I am as old as my granny was, and I wonder is  it all down hill from now on?. Couple of my friends are older than me and it shows, and if one thinks about it old age can appear a frighting time, and it could fill us with fear and concerns. The big ,'what if, 'comes to mind .So what can one do? first of all we can look back and remember that the God of our youth is the God  of our old age.This is what King David wrote,'I was young and now am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken' (Psalm 37 v 25) I have been following the Lord for 60 years and like David I have experienced God's faithfulness.In Ruth 4v 15 we read,' He will renew your life and sustain you in your old age', in other words God will help us to go on, for as our days so shall our strength be. We have a similar promise in Isaiah 46 v 4, which reads,'Even to your old  age and grey hairs  I am He,I am He who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you'.When we get old we may have to make decisions, Psalm 48 v 14,reads ,'For this God is our God for ever and ever,'yes for ever and ever,He does not throw us off in old ages ,and that applies to our eternal future. Then the rest of v14  reads .'He will be our guide even unto death'.He will continue to guide us all our lives.Psalm 92 v14 tells us that 'They will still bear fruit in old age',what a lovely thought.Finally even though our bodies are wasting away,we can be renewed spiritually daily.(2Corinthians  4 v 16)

No comments: