verse of the day

Saturday 10 September 2022

More than these. ( John 21 v 15 - 17 )

 I have always enjoyed football, played it a bit when I was younger ,but most of the time I was a spectator, I watch it on the TV, and follow a certain team.I  love football but I love so many other things more,it is important, but there are so many things more important. My wife and family,my friends, and so many other things,I love more. Jesus said something that appeared very strange in Luke 14 v 26,' If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother,wife and children, brothers and sisters,yes , even their own life, such a person and cannot be my disciple',At first glance it appears a very hard thing to say, hating loved ones, surely not?. One writer  explains it like this,'Eastern language is always ae vivid as the human mind can make it.' When Jesus tells us to hate our nearest and dearest, He does not mean that literally.' A simple explanation for the use of the word hate, means to love less. We move forward ,to after our Saviours death and resurrection,where He meets Peter on the sea shore , and he asked him,'Do you love me more than these'?. (John 21 v 15).Well what would your answer to that question?,can we say the following?

                                            'I love Thee more,than this old world can offer,

                                             All sinful follies, I deny, for Thee,

                                             My love, my life, my all,I ,pledge Thee,

                                              I love Thee more , I love Thee Lord,

                                              More than these,More than these.'

                                                             Emie Haase.

No comments: