verse of the day

Tuesday 20 September 2022

If only. ( Psalm 81)

Psalm 81 begins by reminding Israel of God 's past deliverance,and with that reminder God warns them of the importance of listening to what he says.He mentions that they should not worship any other god's, warnings are so important, we ignore them to our cost ,especially if it is a warning from God. God is not to be trifled with.The people He brought out of Egypt did not listen to Him ,time after time, and they paid the price for their disobedience.God punished that generation ,with the result they had to wander in the wilderness for forty years,until all that generation would die off.In v 11- 12, we read ,'But my people would not listen to me, Israel would not submit to me. So I gave them over to their own stubborn hearts to follow their own devices'.They wanted their own way ,so God let them have it, In Romans 1 we read how God gave people people up to their own ways,with dire consequences. Spurgeon said,'Be careful what you want, because you're sure to get it'.Listen to what God said to Israel,and indeed to us,''If my people would only listen to me,if Israel would only follow my ways, how quickly I would subdue their enemies and turn my hand against their foes' v 13 - 14.Don't end up by saying ',if only I had listen to God'.

No comments: