verse of the day

Saturday 31 October 2020

Trust Him. ( Romans 8 v 28 )

 Although I am retired I  am still active , my wife continues to work ,so I help in the home,each day,one task I do is the washing,I usually hang it outside. Often when I hang it out I spy a dark cloud on the arising,it is then I hear myself quoting a verse from my favourite hymn,'Ye fearful saints fresh courage take, the clouds you so much dread,are big with mercy, and shall break in blessings on your head'.  These words were written by a wonderful poet William Cowper,he had a very difficult background,loosing his mother at a very early age,being sent to a boarding school,boarding schools were notoriously harsh places,which did not help him.He suffered severe mental illness,attempted to take his life at least four times,he was put into an asylum for the insane,but there he read a bible and he put his faith in Christ. That helped him and eventually he lived with John Newton,who befriended him. .As one reads those words from that wonderful hymn,'God moves in a mysterious way', we sense a man who was sustained by his faith,not  understanding the trials he had gone through ,but trusting in a sovereign God. It is so easy to give into despair,as one looks at the world, and our own trouble history,let us like William Cowper   trust in our Sovereign God ,who loves and cares for us,.Remember,'Blind unbelief is sure to err,and scan his works in vain;God is His own interpreter,and He will make it plain.'

No comments: