verse of the day

Friday 30 October 2020

Are you weary? ( Matthew 11 v 28 - 29 )

 It was George Whitfield who said that he was tired in the Lords word,but not tired of it, if you read his life,you can understand his tiredness ,His day started at four in the morning until 10 in the evening,his preaching took up 40 to 60 hrs a week,he was so busy he had scarce time to eat. He said the following.  ''fear not, weak  body,we are immortal till our work is done''.''I must lie down to refresh this weary body, my soul , through grace smiles at bodily weakness'' Yes he must have been tired, very few ministers if any would be as busy ,as George was.We do live in a busy world and do become tired,mentally ,physically,yes and even spiritually.In my garden I have two hanging baskets, one was fine the other near deaths door,it looked wilted,I felt the soil and realised the problem,it needed water.So I  watered it and it has revived and looked like its old self.In Psalm 23 we have these words,'He restoreth my soul' Barnes says he word restoreth ,does not refer to the soul wandering or backsliding from God, but to the life or spirit as exhausted,wearied,troubled,anxious worn down with and toil' What is the answer?,or should we say who is the answer? .Hear is what the Lord Jesus says,'Come to Me,all you who are weary and burdened,  and I will give you rest' ( Matthew 11 v 28 )Sinner come to Jesus,he will remove the burden of your sin,child of God,go your Saviour,cast your burden upon the Lord and he will sustain you.

No comments: