verse of the day

Friday 17 June 2022

The front door ( John 10 v 1 - 18 )

I turned the radio on in my car, heard a program on the BBC , the title being,'A history of the front door'' I must confess it made me smile,and I wondered who could have thought of  making a program about the history of the front door?,as I write this I am now laughing,I didn't listen to all of it, I wonder why?.Of course front doors are important for many reasons, did you know that Jesus talked about Himself being the front door?.We read about it in John 10,of course we are not meant to take it literally,he used it to illustrate a spiritual truth.This chapter is about a shepherd and his sheep,in the evening the shepherd would bring his sheep into the sheepfold, he would not leave them for anybody,instead he would lie down across the entrance,becoming as it  were a front door. There thee was no other way in but through Him,the spiritual application is very simple,here people are likened unto sheep,like sheep who have gone astray (Isa 53 v 6) ,they can be saved only if they come through Jesus.He and He alone is the front and only door whereby people can be saved. Simple but profound,there are many false religions,they cannot save you,in fact they are called thieves and robbers,while they promise much,  like a poison chalice,it will destroy you,it only savours of death.  But Jesus declares that He has come that we may have life , and that we may have it more abundantly.

No comments: