verse of the day

Wednesday 1 June 2022

Rock of Ages. ( Isaiah 45 v22 )

 It is said that while Augustus  M. Toplady  was out walking a storm broke out,and so he took shelter in the cleft of a rock, and that from experience he wrote that wonderful  hymn ,'Rock of Ages'.This hymn became a great favourite, of Prince Albert , husband of Queen Victoria who requested that it be be sung at his funeral. It is a hymn with a tremendous message, as regards salvation,the Rock is none other than Christ , so I will leave prayerfully the words of this lovely hymn with you.

                               'Rock of ages,cleft for me,let me hide myself in Thee;

                               Let the water and the blood, from Thy riven side which  flowed,

                               Be of sin the double cure, cleanse from its guilt an power.

                               Not the labours of my hands, can fulfil Thy  law's demands;

                               Could  my zeal no respite know, could my tears forever flow,

                               All for sin could not atone; Thou must save and Thy alone;

                               Nothing in my hand I bring, simply to Thy cross I cling,

                               Naked , come to Thee for dress,Helpless, look to Thee for grace.

                               Foul, I to Thy fount fly; wash me Saviour, or I die .!

                               While I draw this fleeting breath, when my eyeless close in death,

                               Rock of Ages, cleft for me, let me hide myself in Thee!

                               When I soar to worlds unknown, see Thee on Thy judgement throne;


!

No comments: