verse of the day

Thursday 1 July 2021

Philosophers. ( 1 Corinthians 1 v 18- 31 )

 ' I can see clearly now', they are the words I heard being sung over the radio, and I thought that's true ,the words of a popular song ,comes to mind,' I once was blind but now I see'. Would it surprise you, if I told you that everyone is born blind, now I am not talking about a new born baby. No I am talking about man kinds  inability to understand spiritual truth, it is borne out in many ways. Lets us go back to ancient Greece, and to the city of  Athens, when a certain Christian called Paul visited  this city. Greece is known for  its great thinkers, Socrates, Plato, and many more, in Acts 17 v 18 we read of Epicurean and Stoic philosophers, debating with Paul. all these Philosophers are considered even to this day to be very wise people. Yet in that great seat of  human wisdom, idolatry reigned, Athens was submerged in idols, thousands upon thousands of them. It again bears witness to the reality of humanities spiritual blindness, and the so called wise beings, groping their way in the darkness of uncertainty, that is taking them into a lost eternity. Returning to that young man Paul, in the providence of God, he had an opportunity  to tell them of one who died and rose again, Jesus, who is the power of God and the wisdom of God. When we trust this Jesus as our Saviour, we can say, 'Amazing grace that saved a wretch like me, I once was lost ,but now am found ,was blind but now I see.'

No comments: