verse of the day

Friday 23 October 2015

Not appropriate [ 1 Corinthians 6 v 12]

When I was a young Christian,there were certain rules one was expected to keep,one did not smoke,or drink alcohol,  I even used to judge people,,who engaged in such activities, doubting their salvation. Thankfully I don't do that now,but I am glad that I stopped smoking,and drinking alcohol.Because I smoked and drank alcohol before I come back to the Lord,I do appreciate
the difficulty of stopping smoking,and the effects of over indulgence in alcohol. I realise that people are prone to addictiveness,especially when it
comes to those two drugs.The apostle Paul had to write to the church in Corinth,the city of Corinth was a very evil place,yet God had saved souls,
and brought a church into being.Unfortunately they were doing things that
were not necessary wrong,but was unhealthy as to their spiritual well being.So Paul writes the following,/You say ,I am allowed to do anything,but not everything is good for you.And even though,I am allowed to do anything,I must not become a slave to anything/. My study Bible has this to say,/Some actions are not sinful in themselves,but they are not appropriate.because they can  control our life and lead us away from God. Some actions [activities, I would add ] may hurt others.Anything we do that hurts rather than helps others is not right./
                                        A  prayer.
Dear God we praise you for saving and setting us free when we trusted in Jesus ,your Son.Grant us grace to strip off every weight that slows us down,especially the sin that so easily trips us up,in Jesus name we ask this. Amen.

No comments: