verse of the day

Friday 2 October 2015

No reason [ John 15 v 18ff]

In  John 15 v 18, Jesus said,if the world hates you,keep in mind that it hated me first.Each day I pray for Christians who are suffering ,I often hear people say , words like this,they are suffering just for been a Christian,as if  this should not happen ,and that it is unreasonable and does not make sense.If you read John 15 v18ff you see that this should come as no surprise,because of what our Saviour taught,and experienced,in spite of all the good He did,he experienced continual hurt,and opposition which ended with Him being put on a cross,He summed it up ,they hated Me without reason[25]. Bruce Milne writes,' Being identified with Jesus makes opposition inevitable' Samuel Rutherford  experienced imprisonment as a Christian ,wrote,' God has called you to Christs side, and the wind is now in Christ's face in this land; and since you are with him you cannot expect the sheltered or the sunny side of the hill' I must confess I have not experienced little persecution or suffering for Christ,but if I do I need not be surprised
 ,because Jesus said it would happen.
                                       A  prayer.
Dear Lord you who suffered the awful hatred ,for no reason,help us not to be surprised if we likewise suffer, Amen.

No comments: