verse of the day

Thursday 19 February 2015

Retirement. [Psalm 48 v14]

I will be retiring from working with social services,at the end of April,I have worked there for 23years. I believe it is the right decision,but it brings with certain concerns,what will I do when I retire?,I shared this with a friend whose reply was very helpful,he said,I am retiring from work,but I am not retiring from the Lords service.Yes we never retire from serving the Lord,there is always something for us to do,the words of an old hymn comes to mind,/There's a work for Jesus none but you can do/ So I must not think because I am retiring that God will put me on the shelf,no we are not meant to be ornaments.
    I love the words from Psalm 48 v14,/For this God is our God forever
and ever,He will be our guide even unto death./ In times of uncertainty these are words of assurance,especially as one grows older,and at times when one is entering retirement.It is lovely to be able to retire,but it is unknown territory,a path we have not tread before.Abraham went out
not knowing whither he went, but he knew who was going with him.
    Years ago when little children would have to work at cleaning chimneys,
when they could it no more,they would be discarded,they where no longer
of any use. Such is the human situation,thrown aside,like a old TV,that no longer works.but God is never in the business of discarding anyone.
                                           A  prayer
Dear God we rest in You,knowing that we are precious to You,at every
stage of our lives,that you will never discard us,and will always use us in some measure in your service,in Jesus name Amen.

No comments: