verse of the day

Friday 17 February 2012

Rest . [ Matthew 11 v28 ]

I had an interesting experience I attended a Hindoo funeral service,someone I knew for years had died, I was asked by his family to do a reading of my choice. I was not sure what to read but I did put something together, but it was as you will see Christian. Now only two people who were at the service were Hindoos, the priest and my friend who had died,so most of what took place was totally foreign to those present. So this is what I read,I did say that I was Christian and asked was that all right to the Priest, who said it was; now my short reading.
/ Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses,to breathe free.The wretched refuse of your teaming shore, send these, the homeless, temptest tossed to me.I lift my lamp beside the golden door.These words are to be found on a plaque at the base of the statue of liberty, they were written by Emma Lazarus, but nearly 2000 yrs ago a person called Jesus said, Come unto Me , all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. A Christian , Horatius Bonar ,wrote a hymn based on these words it reads.
I heard the voice of Jesus say,come unto Me and rest,
Lay down thy weary one, lay down thy head upon My breast.
I came to Jesus as I was, weary and worn and sad,
I found in Him a resting place, and He hath made me glad.
I heard the voice of Jesus say, behold I freely give.
The living water,thirsty one,stoop down, and drink and live.
I came to Jesus and I drank, of that life-giving stream.
My thirst was quenched, my soul revived, and now I live in Him
So ended the reading, please do pray that God will bless it to those who were present.

No comments: