verse of the day

Sunday 25 February 2024

No guarantees. ( John 11 v25 )

 A lady who is tetraplegic who broke her neck in a riding accident in 2010, writes a column in a news paper every week gives an honest record how she copes,she's very brave, and one has to admire her,and of course I pray for her,she is not a Christian ,but who knows,yes who knows.Here is part of what she wrote in her column recently.'Like most people, when I was healthy,I  happily wrapped myself in expectations. You assume you will at least live as long as your parents, that you will remain happy and active until at some great age you will slip away in your sleep,brains and joints fully intact.But there are no guarantees. ' The heading on her column reads,' Just let me get to 70,please, and l'll be ever so grateful'. Yes there are no guarantees,that she will reach 70,there are no guarantees for anyone ,our days are numbered and it's God who is doing the numbering.Psalm 31 v 15,declares,'My times are in your  hands'. It is Spurgeon who says on this,''My times are in Thy hand ''- the hand of my Saviour' .These are wonderful words ,Herbert Lockyer wrote,'How slow we are to learn that His hand holds all our times!'I often take encouragement from the words of a hymn by John Ryland, 'Plagues and deaths around me fly; Till He bids,I cannot die; Not a single shaft can hit,Till the God of love sees fit'.It is wonderful to  know that when we walk through the valley of the shadow of death we need fear no evil,for Christ will be with us whenever that will be.

No comments: