verse of the day

Saturday 20 January 2024

To speak or not to speak. (Luke 4 v 22)

 Proverbs 29 v11 reads,' Fools vent their anger, but the wise quietly hold it back'.Well in case you think that I am mister perfect,which of course I'm not,I have a confession,I have been that fool so many times,ask my wife,and my children. So here we have  very wise advice ,one could sum it up in the words of Ecclesiastes 3 v 7(B) ,'A time to be silent and a time to speak'.One could widen the subject out as regards giving advice,we need to choose the time to do that,Charles Bridges has profitable things to say to us on this subject,'For how many things it would be far better never to speak; indeed to suppress in the very thought!' I am so glad for the times I didn't give vent to my feelings,but as I said sometimes to my shame I have. How often we have  judged people, and told others about that person, only to find out it wasn't true. We must be careful not to utter rash words and make rash judgements The religious leaders of  Israel  said many awful things about Jesus,and one day they will gave an account for every evil word they have uttered (Matthew 12 v36 -37 )In 1 Peter 2 v 23 we read as regards our Saviour. 'When His enemies hurled insults at Him, He did not retaliate, when He suffered, He made no threats,instead, he entrusted himself to Him who judges justly '.Yes there is a time to speak, when we have to speak the truth,defend the truth,and to tell the truth,and in our ordinary day by day conversation,may our speech be always be full of grace, to the edifying of those we speak to.






































No comments: