verse of the day

Wednesday 14 August 2019

Scripture alone. ( Ephesians 2 v 19 - 20 )

In his book ,'Can I trust the Bible',R.C.Sproul, reminds us that the reformation was founded on Gods word, 'scripture alone',was the slogan..He goes on to recount the meeting that Martin Luther had with the leaders of the Roman Catholic Church over the doctrine of justification.He was maneuvered into a position in which he had to confess publicly that his views did not  agree with what the church taught. That provoked a  crisis for Luther,   questioning the authority of the pope was unacceptable. Luther held his ground,however,and finally ,at the Diet of Worms in 1521, he said. Unless I am convinced by the testimony of Scriptures or by clear reason( For I do not trust either in the pope or in councils alone, since it is well known that they have often erred and contradicted themselves)  I am bound by the Scriptures I have quoted, and my conscience is captive to the word of God. I cannot and I will not recant anything,since it is neither safe nor right to go against conscience. I cannot do otherwise, here I stand,may God help me. Amen.

No comments: