verse of the day

Friday 29 April 2016

Something you cannot do. [ Mark 10 v 17-27]

''Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth,where moth and rust destroy,and where thieves break in and steal.But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven,where thieves do not break in and steal.For where your
treasure is,there  your heart will be also.[Matthew 6 v19-21]. On these words Dr. Martyn. Lloyd-Jones comments.
''The truth of this proposition is obvious.Both make a totalitarian demand
upon us. Worldly things really do make a totalitarian demand......they tend to grip the entire personality and affect us everywhere. They demand our entire devotion;they want us to lived for them absolutely. Yes ,but so does God.thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart,and with all thy mind,and all thy strength.' Not in a material sense necessarily,but in some sense or other He says to us all,'Go,sell all that thou hast, and come,follow me.'He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me:and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.It is a totalitarian demand.As v24 points out:Either he will hate the one,and love the other; or else he will hold to the one,and despise the other.' It is'either-or; compromise is completely impossible at this point. 'Ye cannot serve God and mammon'.
                                           A  prayer.
                   Dear Lord, I want you more than gold and silver,
                                      only You can satisfy.
                                      You alone are the real joy giver,
                                       and the apple of my eye.
                                       You alone are my strength,my shield,
                                       to you alone may my spirit yield.
                                       You alone are my heart's desire
                                        and I long to worship You. Amen.
                                          [Words by Martin Nystrom ]

No comments: