verse of the day

Monday 17 September 2012

Luke warm. [Revelation 3 v14-22 ]

I have before me a little card with a famous painting on it ,Holman Hunts ,/The light of the world/, I have actually seen this painting it is in ST Pauls cathedral in London.It portrays Jesus holding a light in one hand, and with the other knocking on on a door. It is based on the words of Revealation 3 v20`and it reads,/Behold I stand at the door and knock, if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him and he with Me/ These words were spoken to the church at Laodicea a church that was luke warm,neither  cold or hot, a church that was just going through the motions,materialism had taken over. They failed to see themselves as their Lord saw them,naked and blind,now Jesus threatens to chastize them, no He had not given up on them,why?, because He loved them.It was W Cowper who wrote the following words,/Where is the blessedness I knew,when I first saw the Lord. Where is the soul refreshing veiew of Jesus and His Love/. It is so easy to slip away from a close relationship with our Lord,and the fire goes out, and we just go through the motions,but like the the church of Laodicea, the Lord still love us,still pleads for His rigthful place in our hearts.
A  prayer...../ Dear Lord help us not to grow luke warm, Amen/

No comments: