verse of the day

Sunday 2 July 2023

Old age. (Psalm 37 )

They  say the camera doesn't lie, and I suppose a lot of  people wish it did. I had a photo taken of recently and it brought home to that I am 79 but I look 79, I'm an old man, what can we say about old age, has it got  advantages?,old age can be a blessing it can be a burden. King David in his old age wrote a lovely Psalm and this is what he had to say,'I was young and now am old,yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread',  (Ps 37 v25 )Like David I look back on my life and I can testify to God's faithfulness,how He has never forsaken any of His children, and that includes me,I have been so conscious of His presence with me.Yes I can look back and rejoice that God has been with me,and  I can also can look forward with wonderful assurance that He will still be with me.  So in this Psalm David encourages  and instructs His children to not fret when evil people seem to prosper but to simple trust and delight in God  and he will not disappoint. We are to be still before the Lord rest in his presence, there is no point in worrying( Matthew 6 v 19ff) One day in the fall of 1874, in a flat in Lower Manhattan, a blind woman answered a knock on her door. On opening the door, she felt some folded paper being pressed into her hand by someone who left without a word. It turned out to be ten dollars. The woman had not had the money to pay the rent, and so had prayed for the Lord to supply her need. And here it was.So it was later that day Fanny Crosby wrote.

                                       'All the way my Saviour leads me,what have I to ask beside ?

                                        Can I doubt His tender mercy, who through life has been my guide?

                                        For I know , whate'er befall me,Jesus doeth all things well.'

                                                 ( I am indebted to R .Davis for the story)

No comments: