verse of the day

Tuesday 25 July 2023

God the Father. ( Nehemiah 9 v 17 )

I recently was looking at comments on a book that I was going to order,I found one interesting,it was a man in his early eighties.He mentioned his early Christian  experience,which he said was miserable,one of the reasons he said was ,he never felt he was good enough.He went unto write that the second half of his life was happier,because he was not living under the shadow of an angry God who would punish him every time he didn't get things right.I was very sad what that man had to say, I just wonder ,where this came from?,was it from his family ,or his church situation? or was it from both?.For the God he mentioned is not the God of the bible,When I was young ,school teachers were permitted to use a cane, to punish what they considered were  wrong doings, some had a reputation of being very severe,God is not like that . That persons religion appears to have been  very legalistic , like living under the law.I have never looked on God like that,He has always been my loving heavenly Father,and although I am 79 He still is my Loving heavenly Father.I have never been the perfect son,but He has been the perfect Father.Yes He will  like any loving father discipline us when we do wrong,(Hebrews 12 v 5-6 ),but He is not standing over us to beat us into the ground ,and  our acceptance by Him, is not on the bases of what we do ,but what Christ has done.

                                                         'There's a wideness in God's mercy,

                                                           Like the wideness of the sea.

                                                           There's a  kindness in God's justice,

                                                            Which is more than liberty'

                                                                 Words F.W.Faber.

No comments: