verse of the day

Wednesday 20 October 2021

Christ in the book of Hebrews. ( Hebrews 1 )

I am sure many of you have read the book of Hebrews,for those who don't  know  anything about it,it  is about Christ and what he has accomplished in relation to salvation ,.As the name suggests it was written mainly to Jewish Christians,but it has meaning for all Christians. There are many fine commentaries by Christian writers these will help you get to grips with this wonderful book, I feel that one of the sad things that is lacking in the Christian Church today is teaching  on what the actual books of the Bible are about.I believe the apostle Paul was the author of this book,others differ on this,in this case it should not give one to much concern as to whom the author was.It is God's word for God's people, it stresses that all things came into being by Christ,and that He is superior to angels, 1 v8 tells us that they are commanded to worship Him,why worship Jesus? 1 v 8 ,God speaking of the Son declares,'Your throne ,O God, will last for ever and ever'.v 9 follows on,'Therefore God, your God, has set you above your companions.' These scripture readings are from Psalm 45 v 6-7 .The Jewish readers would have to come to terms with this truth,I have mentioned before about William Barclay,who did not believe Christ was God. A visiting speaker at the church I attend used a prayer composed by William Barclay,it was fine what he wrote.As I was leaving  to go home, I mentioned how I appreciated his message, but I also mentioned the prayer by WB , and his denial of deity of Christ, and that was heretical,he didn't appear pleased with what I said, but sadly it was true,and that is very serious.We will continue on next time looking at the book of Hebrews.

No comments: