verse of the day

Tuesday 19 October 2021

Abide with me. ( Romans 8 v 28 - 39 )

Every year at the final of the FA cup , before the game, a hymn is sung, it is called Abide with me, it was written by a Victorian  clergyman called Henry F. Lyte, he died a few months after completing it. It was set to music by William Monk, he had recently experienced the death of  his child. It goes without saying that it is a very meaningful hymn,it is a hymn that expresses the wonderful abiding presence of God,that makes all the difference in life and in death.Let us just go through this hymn,making a few comments.

                                                 Abide with me fast falls the eventide,

                                                 The darkness deepens, Lord, with me abide,

                                                 When other helpers fail and comforts flee,

                                                 Help  of the helpless, O abide with me.

           No matter how dark things are, the Lord who is the light the world can lighten our darkness . 

                                                 Swift to its close ebbs out life's little day 

                                                 Earth's joys grow dim, its glories pass away;

                                                 Change and decay in all around I see;

                                                 O Thou who changest not, abide with me.

            Life is very brief, in Christ , we have the promise of eternal glories ,that will never pass away

                                                 I need Thy presence every passing hour

                                                What but Thy grace can foil the tempter's power?

                                                 Who like Thyself my guide and stay can be?

                                                 Through cloud and sunshine, O abide with me.

           Christs abiding presence, makes all the difference, He will guide us and strengthen us.

                                                 I fear no foe with Thee at hand to bless;

                                                 I'll have no weight and tears no bitterness;

                                                 Where is death's sting?where , grave, thy victory?

                                                 I triumph still, if thou abide with me.

          With Christ fear can be vanquished,the sorrowing can be comforted, and death is conquered.

                                                  Reveal Thyself before my closing eyes

                                                  Shine through the gloom and point me to the skies;

                                                   Heaven's morning breaks and earth's vain shadows flee;

                                                    In life, in death, O Lord, abide with me.

           With Christ our Saviour ,nothing can separate us,from God's love, and God's heaven.

                                                 


No comments: