verse of the day

Wednesday 17 February 2021

Overwhelmed? ( Psalm 55 )

 Psalm 55 was written by King David, now it was David who killed a lion and a bear, also a  giant, and defeated the enemies of Israel. He was very brave and courageous, but even brave and courageous people can feel fear.  In this Psalm he writes of being troubled and distraught, filled with anguish, terror, horror, thank goodness for honest people. He also mentions of being betrayed by a close friend, were all these feelings sinful?. The old hymn goes with Christ in the vessel we can smile at the storm, we may, or we may be like the disciples of old who were very , very afraid in a storm , and thought they were   going to perish ( Mark 4 v 35 -41 ) David felt like running away, but instead we read  ,'But I call to God and the Lord saves me, evening ,morning and noon I cry out in distress, and he hears my voice. He ransoms me unharmed from the battle waged against me, even though many oppose me'.( v 16 - 18 ) Out of this experience he gives us this instruction,' Cast your cares upon the Lord and He will sustain you, he will never let the  righteous fall'.( v 22) His closing words  are , 'But as for me, I will trust in you''.

No comments: