verse of the day

Wednesday 29 November 2023

Stand by me. ( Psalm 40 v 1 - 3 )

The apostle Paul was in prison and he writes how ,'No one came to his support,but that everyone had deserted him',( 2 Timothy 4 v16- 17.)Then he adds,' But the Lord stood by my side and  gave me strength'. ( See John Stotts  remarks on this in the Bible Speaks Today series) There are I am sure many people who can identify with Paul's experience,it was Pastor  Bonhoeffer who was imprisoned by the Nazis who wrote of what he  missed most, was Christian fellowship.There are Christians in so many places who are literally on their  own,and there Christians who are in Pauls situation, in prison in isolation.Likewise we have many lonely people,and needy people ,well you get the picture,maybe your are in that position now,there is Christian song, which touches on this, it really is a prayer which you can pray,and  I believe God who drew near to Paul and strengthened him will do the same for you.The song is called ,'Stand by Me', written by Charles Albert Tindley.

                                      1     'When the storms of life are raging, stand by me,

                                              When the storms of life are  raging stand by me,

                                             When the world is tossing me,like a ship upon the sea,

                                             Thou who rulest wind and water ,stand by me.

                                       2     In the midst of tribulation, stand by me

                                              In the midst of tribulation,stand by me.

                                             When the hosts of hell assail,and my strength begins to fail,

                                             Thou who never lost a battle ,stand by me.

                                       3     In the midst of faults and failures,stand by me,

                                              In the midst of faults and failures, stand by me.

                                             When I've done the best I can, and my friends misunderstand,

                                             Thou who knowest all about me,stand by me.

                                             

                                             

No comments: