verse of the day

Monday 20 March 2023

Weakness ( Psalm 61 )

I am sure there are those people who think I am a very strong Christian, I don't feel  strong,far from it, I feel very weak. I often find myself singing words of a song ,I don't know who wrote it,or even if  I am getting the words right,they go like this,' Jesus keep a hold,a hold on me ,I'm the weakest of your children,how I need you. If I make it through the only way it's going to be,if Jesus keeps a hold, a hold on me'. That's the way I feel, I am not strong,sometimes a feather could not knock me over, you don't have to convince me that I'm weak,it's a fact of life.Was it Spurgeon who said ,'everyday you are a Christian it's a miracle', so very true. I love the honesty of Paul writing in Romans 7,when he cries out as he considers his struggles ,'What a wretched man I am, v24, but he doesn't stop there,he declares,'Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord' v 25.  In himself Paul was weak, but Christ lived by His Spirit in him,and that's what made all the difference.When he cried out in his weakness to be healed,his request was refused,instead God promised him grace,to sustain him in his weakness.{1Corinthians 12 v 9) In Psalm 61 v2 David cries out that his heart was overwhelmed,and then he says 'Lead me to the rock that is higher than I'.,who is that rock? it is Jesus.

                                                    O safe to the Rock that is higher than I,

                                                    My soul in its conflicts and sorrows would fly,

                                                    So sinful ,so weary,Thine,Thine would I be,

                                                    Thou blest Rock of Ages, I'm hiding in Thee.

                                                    Hiding in Thee! Hiding in Thee!

                                                    Thou blest Rock of Ages,I'm hiding in Thee'.

                                                                 Words. W O. Cushing.

     

No comments: