verse of the day

Thursday 9 March 2023

Providence. ( Psalm 107 )

 It is always profitable to consider the providence of God,in his little book  'The mystery of providence',John Flavel asks this question,' How is it that you have survived so many mortal dangers, sicknesses, accidents, designs of enemies to ruin you?.'It is a good question to ask,and there  can only  one answer,God's providential care,why did I survive,when my younger brother died? why was I rescued from drowning.Often we will not understand God's providence at that time ,we may later grasp it in some measure .Let's consider the providence of God in relation to prayer, now it seems we think or hope God will grant us what we pray for every time ,but it will not happen ,God in His  mercy has a plan for all His children's lives. D R .Davis writes ,'Sometimes God's greatest kindness is in not answering our prayers exactly  as we desire'.I remember thinking I would like a certain job and so I applied for one,of course I prayed,coinciding with this my present job was coming to an end,and as we often say,'one door shuts another opens',and in the providence of God that happened. I would have loved it to have been in full time ministry but it wasn't to be,but I loved my new job and worked at it for 20yrs.Coinciding with that I became a joint leader of the church  I attended, and got my desire,regular preaching,it all worked out for the best in the providence of God. Again let me stress God has a plan for all our lives,He has promised to guide us,in what we call the providence of God, trust Him He makes no mistakes.

No comments: