verse of the day

Tuesday 7 February 2023

A stimulant .( Psalm 55 )

 I think it was Brooks the Puritan who wrote that God often drives us to the place of prayer,by thorns.So often Israel was driven back to God by the difficulties they faced,difficulties created by their backsliding ways. We see this in the times of the Judges,in which we read that,' every man did that which right in his own eyes' (21 v25).Think of King David ,consider his turbulent history ,one trouble after another,this was the pattern of his life, even to his old age,when his son rebelled against him.Along with that pattern of difficulties he had another pattern,prayer. Most of the Psalms were written by David, and many of his Psalms are asking for protection, and deliverance from his enemies.When the enemy was at the gate what did Hezekiah do?,he prayed ,consider that wonderful prayer in 2 Kings 19 v 14 - 19.Yes he was driven to prayer,the difficulties we face are as it were a stimulant for us to pray,and to pray more earnestly. I leave with you a part of a prayer from the,'The valley of vision'.

                                          'Send your Spirit who is the searcher of my heart,

                                           to show me more of my corruptions and 

                                           helplessness,that I may flee to Thee, cling to

                                          Thee,rest on Thee,as the beginning and end of 

                                          Thy salvation.May I not vex Him by my

                                          indifference and waywardness, grieve Him by

                                         my cold welcome,resist Him by my hard rebellion.

                                         Answer my prayers, O Lord for Thy great name's

                                         sake.'

                                            

                                        

                                          

No comments: