verse of the day

Tuesday 25 January 2022

Go private. ( Matthew 6 v 6 )

 Matthew 5 v 7- 8 reads,' Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you, For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and the who knocks, the door will be opened.'Here are dear Saviour is teaching us about prayer,in chap 6 v 5 - 8, He points out as William Hendriksen points out ,'that the Lord condemn ostentatious praying,that is, having one's private devotions in the most public place, with the intention  of being and honored of people'.I remember when I was in the Territorial army , which was a reserve force for the British army,we went on a training exercise,and we all slept in a large dormitory. I wandered what I should do as regards praying,should I get down at my bed and pray,? I wasn't sure what to do. Well I happened to read Matthew 6 v 6, where we are told, 'But when you pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and pray to your Father in private', and I did just that. This does not rule out public prayer which is acceptable ,all prayer is acceptable,if it is done in the right spirit,we are not there to impress people, but to seek God.I have digressed  somewhat, but next time we will start to consider Mt 5  v 7-8.

No comments: