verse of the day

Thursday 31 December 2020

Trivial Pursuit ( Mark 8 v 3 6 - 37 )

A writer ,writing about a certain billionaire  , wrote the following, He splashed out on a  46 million pound jet, then a 100 million pound yacht , to add to the two he already owned. The yacht  was everything, you imagine it would be, ''Gold taps '',she comments,' after he had finished showing of the rest of the yacht ,he got bored and grumpy'. We may ask the question how can a billionaire be bored?, could it be that he is just playing 'Trivial Pursuit' ?. Sad to say a lot of our lives are made up of playing the game of  , 'Trivial Pursuit'. Philip Yancey  attending a life - threatening illness support group, which met monthly  in a hospital support group,  writes,'  I cannot say I' enjoyed ' those meetings, yet when walking home, I had the sense that the evening was one of the most meaningful I had spent. We skipped  trivialities and faced into the issues most urgent to everyone in the room- death and life, and how best to spend what time remained'. He goes on to quote the poet John Donne ,'  I need Thy thunder, O my God;  thy music will not serve  Thee'. I often ask myself the question what is God saying in these days?, could it be , that it is Gods voice thundering ,asking this question,' Are  we ready to meet Him?. Let us stop playing 'Trivial  Pursuit', and seek the Lord Jesus while  He can be found, and to call on Him while He is near.

No comments: