verse of the day

Monday 20 July 2020

Do not despair. ( Philippians 3 v 12 - 14 )

John Hunter wrote the following hymn,'Dear Master in whose life I see,all I would but fail to be.Let Thy clear light for ever shine,to shame and guide this life of mine. Though what I dream, and what I do,in my weak days are always two.Help me oppressed by things undone,O Thou whose deeds and dreams were one'. Although it is a hymn ,it is a prayer, a prayer of self awareness,of desire and of defeat,of trying but never succeeding,of trying but failing ,in the light of Jesus his Masters perfections.In Psalm 138 v 8, we read,  'The Lord will perfect that which concerns me', It is the apostle Paul who wrote ,'being confident of this very thing,that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ'.(Phil 1 v 6) Gods great purpose for all his children is that they may be conformed to the image of Christ,this is not an instant thing ,it is a life long process by Gods Spirit within us,and will be completed in Glory,when we shall be like Him. In the mean while,let us not give up in despair, but by God's grace, press on, in our walk,  forgetting what is behind and straining towards what is ahead.

No comments: