verse of the day

Tuesday 28 March 2017

We will remember [John 22 v 19 -20]

Every year our country holds a day when we remember, those who died in the many wars our country  has been involved in, ,the following words are spoken,'' we will remember them''. It is John Stott who wrote the following,
''There are many warnings in scripture of the dangers of forgetfulness, and many  promises to those who remember. A bad memory was one of the main reasons for Israel's downfall'' CP  Psalm 106 v7/13.  Deuteronomy chapter v8]Again he writes'', Jesus had to make the same complaint to the apostles' Don't you remember...?[Matthew 16 v9].To the many who want something new, J.S ,writes,'' All conscientious Christian teacher,once they have been delivered from the unhealthy lust for originality ,take pains to make old truths new and stale truths fresh''. Many arguments ,and pain have been caused by people reading more into the Lords Table, communion, mass, call it what you will. It was never meant to be a war Zone, it is basically a time when we remember our Saviour, and His dying love for us. The bread and wine are nothing more than that, if we make more  of these simple symbols, we go beyond what Saviour taught us. For He said,'' do this in remembrance of me[John 22 v19],why ?lest we forget.

                                        A prayer
                        
                         King of my life I crown Thee now,
                         Thine shall the glory be;
                         Lest I forget Thy thorn crowned brow,
                         Lead me to Calvary.

                                Lest I forget Gethsemane,
                                Lest I forget Thine agony,
                                Lest I forget Thy love for me,
                                Lead me to Calvary.
                                 [Words by J. E. Mussey]



No comments: