verse of the day

Friday 22 December 2023

No boasting ( Matthew 23 v 11- 12)

I was visiting friends and one asked the question,'How's Peter?',I knew who Peter was, I say was ,because he had died a number of years ago so I told my friends. As an after thought I said,'Peter is fine',I said this  because I know he was a lovely Christian,and he is now in heaven,and he sure is fine,yes more than fine. It was the apostle who had a wonderful experience,we read about it in 2 Corinthians 12 ,one writer puts it like this,' Paul was seized by Christ and swept in ecstasy to the heights of heaven'. Now Paul does not tell us much about his experience of heaven,he didn't want to exploit it,he was concerned that people would think he was bragging,and he would be filled with pride, God who give him that experience knows how we can let pride take over, so He sent an affliction into his life to keep him humble,and gave him the grace to bear that affliction. I am very wary of people who tell us they have been to heaven,and unlike Paul  they exploit  it,like the so called faith healers,and none of them are very humble.If God blesses us with a wonderful gift,a wonderful experience, or a successful ministry it is not to feed our ego,

                                                 'Naught have I gotten,but what I received,

                                                 Grace hath bestowed it since I have believed

                                                  Boasting excluded, pride I abase,

                                                  I'm only a sinner saved by grace'.

                                                             Words J.M.Gray

No comments: