verse of the day

Wednesday 14 June 2023

Our substitute. ( Romans 5 v 6 - 8

Tony Campolo writes about visiting Auschwitz Nazi murder camp,while there he was taken to the cell of a Roman  Catholic priest,Maximilian Kolbe. Tony tells how the Nazi captors had an ugly way of deterring prisoners from escaping. If someone escaped, they would choose six prisoners to be hung,nevertheless some did escape, so all the prisoners would be lined up, and six were chosen at random to be hung. So on one occasion  one did escape,so six prisoners were chosen and brought to the scaffold  to be hung. Before they were hung the priest asked to be heard, he pleaded with the commandant to be allowed to take the place of one of the men. He pointed to  a man,he said, ''He's from my village. I know him, he's a good man and he has a wife with several children. On the the other hand, I am a priest. I am not married and I  have no children. I do not have a family that needs me. Let be hung in his place'',and  so it happened.It is a lovely story,dying for that good man,but I want to point you to the cross of Jesus.Why was Jesus on that cross? he was laying down His life,for His enemies,for sinners,that means you and me, Christ died for the ungodly ,He bore the wrath of God,on that cross,so that we would not have to face that wrath of God when we die.We put that in motion when we trust Jesus to forgive our sins,when we do that ,our sins are forgiven, wrath is removed ,and we receive eternal life..

No comments: