verse of the day

Sunday 29 April 2018

W.E. Henley. ( Psalm 17 v 5 / 107 v 7 )

''My head is bloody, but unbowed.beyond this place of wrath and tears, looms, but the horror of the shade. And yet the menace of the years ,finds and shall find me unafraid,it matters not how strait the gate.How charged the punishment the scroll. I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.''  So reads words from one of the most famous poems ever written,it is called ,'Invictus,',this poem has touched the lives of many people,Nelson Mandela was one of them .One person said it was memorable evocation of Victorian Stoicism,the stiff upper lip.We can think of many people who faced trials, that would have crushed many, with a firmness that was truly remarkable.As a Christian I believe that we are not masters of our fate,we are not the captains of our souls, There is a higher power,a sovereign God who is over all and working all things according to His will,whither people acknowledge it or not. The Lord Jesus taught us to pray,''Your will be done,'' ,and as to facing trials and tribulations of life with a stiff upper lip, many of us have quivering lips.All the disciples fled and forsook Jesus , I am no different, you are no different ,so as to life, and all my goings and comings, I trust it to my God and Father,to lead ,guide and even prosper. And as for facing trials with a stiff upper lip, I will face them prayerfully,praying for the necessary grace to endure,and glorify my God and Saviour.                                                                                                                                                                                                            Lead me gently home. Father,                                                                                                                    Lead me gentle home,                                                                                                                                Mid life's darkest hours, Father,                                                                                                                When sad trials come.                                                                                                                                Keep my heart from, wandering,                                                                                                                Lest my feet should roam;                                                                                                                          Lest I fall upon the wayside,                                                                                                                      Lead me gently home.                                                                                                                                 ( Words....W.L. Thompson )

No comments: