verse of the day

Tuesday 30 April 2013

What type of prayer is right?. [ Luke 11 v1 ]

I have a friend who spoke in a critical manner of those who read prayers,he feels that it is less effective than ex temporary praying, unrehearsed,unplanned,relying on the Holy Spirit,at that time.The Jewish tradition is one of a written liturgy, and likewise the Church of England.I am writing about this because the minister of my church often reads his prayers,and I must confess I find them meaningful,it is a new experience for me , I was particularly blessed by a prayer he prayed recently.So what type of praying is right?,I think both are alright,after all we pray the Lords prayer,a written prayer,and I often use words from the Psalms in my prayers.Recently I prayed a very emotional unread prayer at a church prayer meeting,I felt very conscious of this,but a lady came up and commended me for my prayer,and she was critical of the fact that many prayed with no emotion..It is so easy to go through the motions when we pray or even read the word of God,and who wants that, God doesn't. I am sure we must be tolerant with each other, in all our different traditions,there is not necessary a wrong way or right way. Also we can learn from each other, and who knows what benefits we will receive,we should be open to the Spirits leading and guidance.I finish with a written prayer......../Grant us , Lord, 
                   to know that which is worth knowing,
                   to love that which is worth loving,
                   to praise that which can bear with p raise,
                    to hate that which in your sight is unworthy
                    to prize what to you is precious
                    and, above all,
                    to search out and do what is pleasing to you ,
                     through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.[  Thomas a Kempis]
                  
 
             
 

No comments: