verse of the day

Wednesday 5 October 2011

Weariness . [ Jeremiah 20 v 9 ]

It was George Whitfield who said that he was not tired of Gods work , but tired in it,we can appreciate these words,of course George was a great preacher, and much in demand. The word of God tells us, not to be weary in well doing, for in due season we shall reap if we faint not .[ Galations 6 v9 ] The great prophet Jeremiah had his moments when he felt weary, we read him saying in 20 v9,/ Then I said , I will not make mention of Him, nor speak any more in his name, / things had become so difficult that he was determined to say nothing, he was called to be a prophet but he felt like never preaching another sermon. It is no easy thing to preach especially if we see no results, how many hundreds of sermons I have preached, with no visible results, one could be tempted like Jeremiah to give up. Then we read Jeremiah saying, / but his word was in my heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones,/ and then he declares,/ and I was weary with forebearing, and I could not stay/. When one is called to preach Gods word,then it is nigh impossible not to preach it,the great apostle Paul declared woe is me if I preach not the gospel. [ 1 Corinthians 9 v16] It will always be the case for those called to preach, to not preach brings with it a great weariness, that is hard to endure.
Lord , fill Thy servant,s soul today
With pure seraphic fire,
And set his tongue at liberty,
And grant his soul,s desire.
[Daniel Herbert ]
A prayer /Grant to Thy servants who minister Thy word, grace to proclaim it, in Jesus name
Amen /

No comments: