verse of the day

Monday 10 October 2011

Addiction. [John 8 v 34-36 ]

I picked up an empty cigarette packet, which had a gruesome picture on it, and the words, smoking can cause a slow and painful death, inspite of this warning, many people still smoke, thankfully not as many as used to. When I was young lad I started smoking ,most people smoked,even my mother smoked,and she paid the price of that addiction. Of course people can be addicted to different things,like gambling, sex,food,money,power alcohol and many other things ,inspite of the consequences.Many things people are addicted to, are sinful, in fact our Saviour said, whosoever committeth sin is the servantof sin [ John 8 v34 ].Sin always comes with a cost ,no matter how it is dressed up, one just has to read the newspaper or listen to the news, or look at our own lives,we are all born with a weak nature, a nature that can so easily come under the control of something or other.I believe that Christ will not only forgive us our sins , but He can deliver and set us free, consider the following words that Jesus said,/ If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed [John 8 v36]
Augustus M. Toplady wrote the following.
What though I cannot break my chains,
Or e,er throw of my load,
The things impossible to men,
Are possible to God.
Bound down with twice ten thousand ties,
Yet let me hear Thy call,
My soul in confidence shall rise,
Shall rise and break through all.
A prayer. /Dear Saviour ,we thank You that not only can You forgive sin, but You can also break its power, there is nothing to hard for You to do. Amen.

No comments: