verse of the day

Wednesday 22 December 2021

Less of self. ( Romans 8 v 29 )

John the Baptist was a wonderful man, Jesus spoke of him,in terms of greatness, John realized that he was not the main man,he was but the messenger,but a very special messenger. He was the one the prophets foretold would come to prepare the way of the Lord (Malachi 3 v 1) .He was a very humble person, when his disciples voiced their concern that Jesus was attracting more followers than John,he told them  plainly that he was not the Messiah,and that Jesus was to become greater and greater,and that he should become less and less. ( John 3 v 27 - 30),or as the AV puts it,'that He must increase,and I must decrease'.Often the way of the world is about more power,more authority ,to become greater. There was a very well known sportsperson, what was his cry,' I am the greatest',another one said,' I am the special one'.There was a certain boastful politician who one day passed Winston Churchill in Parliament, and Winston said of him,''There but for the grace of God,goes God'. I wonder about myself, how much of Christ do I manifest?,and how much of self do I manifest?.Remember what our our dear lovely  Saviour said of those who are greatest in His kingdom, they are those who serve,he showed what that meant when He washed his disciples feet ( John 13 v1 - 17),just a little extra thought on this,that challenges me all the time,where the apostle writes of the, 'meekness and gentleness of Christ',I wonder how people would describe me.May He ,our blessed Saviour increase in all of us.

No comments: